Kheer is a traditional South Asian sweet dish, made by boiling rice with milk and sugar, and flavoured with cardamom, saffron, pistachios or almonds. It is served during a meal or also enjoyed as a dessert.
- Soak rice in water for 1/2 an hour.
- Drain the rice and spread over a napkin for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Grind rice coarsely, add melted ghee or unsalted butter, keep aside.
- In a saucepan boil milk and saffron, on medium high heat.
- Add ghee and rice mixture, turn heat to medium, boil for 20 minutes.
- Add sugar, almonds and pistachios, cook for 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and add cardamom powder, mix well.
- Enjoyed hot or cold as dessert.
You may also like: