Eggplant Parmigiana Recipe
Eggplant Parmigiana is a classic vegetarian Italian baked eggplant casserole, made with eggplant and green bell pepper slices layered with marinara sauce and mozzarella cheese. This makes a delicious entree served with a salad and Cheese Bread.
Method For Marinara Sauce:
- In a heavy bottom sauce pan, mix together tomato sauce, chopped basil, red chili powder, sugar and salt.
- Boil for 6 to 7 minutes on medium heat stirring occasionally, and keep aside.
Method For Eggplant Parmigiana:
- Drizzle the eggplant and green bell pepper slices with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Heat large skillet over medium heat.
- Working in small batches, grill the eggplant slices and green bell pepper, turning once, until golden brown, about 3 minutes per batch or until soft.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Lightly brush a 15 x 10- x 2-inch-baking dish with olive oil.
- Cover the bottom of the baking dish with 1 cup of the marinara sauce and arrange half of the eggplant over the sauce.
- Next arrange half of the green bell pepper slice and cover with another 1 cup of the sauce.
- Sprinkle half of the mozzarella cheese over the sauced eggplant and green bell pepper.
- Repeat with the remaining eggplant, green bell pepper and sauce.
- Sprinkle breadcrumbs evenly over the sauced eggplant and green bell pepper and sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake until cheese turns golden brown, about 30 minutes.
- Serve immediately with a salad and Cheese Bread or garlic bread.
You may also like: