Dal Dhokli Recipe
Dal dhokli is a healthy one-pot meal. Spiced whole wheat flour dhoklis are simmered in toor dal. It’s traditional Gujarati delicacy often made as a sunday lunch. Dal is a good source of protein combined with whole wheat dhokli makes this a very healthy recipe. Enjoy dal dhokli!
- In a pressure cooker, add dal and 2 cups of water.
- Cook for 4 to 5 whistles turn off heat.
- Meanwhile, in a big bowl mix all ingredients.
- Add water little by little and make a semi soft dough.
- Cover and let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Break into 6 equal portions, shape into ball and flatten it, keep aside.
- Let the pressure cooker cool down for 10 minutes, allowing steam to escape before opening the pressure cooker lid.
- Remove lid and add turmeric powder, coriander-cumin powder, red chili powder, garam masala powder, jaggery and salt.
- Blend all ingredients together, until smooth using a hand blender or immersion blender.
- Heat big pot on medium high, add oil, cumin seeds, wait till seeds crackle.
- Add dried whole red chili, cloves, cinnamon and asafoetida, give it a quick stir.
- Add blended dal, 3 cups of water, peanuts, tomato, ginger, green chili and curry leaves, mix well.
- Bring it to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes while stirring occasionally.
- Roll out each flattened dough into very thin roti(about 7 to 8 inches circle).
- Cut dough into square or diamond shapes about 1 inch pieces, using a sharp knife or pizza cutter.
- Slowly add the dhokli pieces one by one to boiling dal, and mix gently.
- Simmer for 5 to 7 minutes or until dhokli is tender, while stirring occasionally.
- Garnish wtih cilantro and pomegranate seeds.
- Serve immediately. Enjoy dal dhokli with rice or papad.
You may also like: